Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cinnamon Crescent Rolls

When I saw this pin, I thought about how anything with cinnamon sugar is what I would choose to have forever if I were deserted on an island with ONE food. I also love crescent rolls so I was so super excited for this recipe.

After ALL of us sleeping in (thank you baby), Husband said "you should go pop in those cinnamon rolls we have." but I very excitedly said "NO!!! I'M GOING TO MAKE THE CINNAMON CRESCENT ROLLS!!!!". Ok then. Here goes...

Before I made these, I predicted a few things just from my knowledge of butter, bread and just because I like to think I'm smart.

#1- the butter is going to go EVERYWHERE
#2- they will be mushy from sitting in the butter
#3- these are going to be freaking awesome
#4- if they end up ridiculous, I have cinnamon rolls as a back up

I must be half gypsy fortune teller because I got half of these right. Let me start at the beginning.

I followed the recipe verbatim, except that I didn't have a pan with sides. I made the butter mixture and lost about 1/8 of it to my mouth. Opened the rolls, spread the butter on them, rolled them up and popped them in the oven. I set the timer for 10 minutes and started to make the glaze. After adding the powdered sugar and vanilla to the butter, it just looked like dark butter so I was starting to foresee bad things happening. And by bad I had no idea what I was in for.

3 minutes left. It's time to check them. Open the oven door...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

There's smoke everywhere! Butter EVERYWHERE!!! Bubbling, burning, smoking, dripping into crevices underneath the oven!! I was expecting a butter explosion with flames to my face any second! I went into panic mode and put another pan underneath that one but to no avail, it was far far too late. Why not let them cook for 3 more minutes? :)

I pulled them out when they were done...

Um, yeah. 3/4 of that brown stuff is in my oven.

I am NOT a quitter (unless it's P90X). I teach my students to NEVER GIVE UP no matter what. So I was NOT going to stop here! By golly, I had a glaze to put on. I thought maybe the glaze could salvage the look. Not so much.

Can I go hide in a corner??

That glaze is total bull. As you can see, it's NOT fancy and white. I was so disappointed but my disappointment deepened when I realized that my backup of cinnamon rolls wasn't going to happen because my oven was totally off limits thanks to the butter gnome. But we were hungry.





I'm NOT lovin' it.


Anyway...








No comments:

Post a Comment