Saturday, March 23, 2013

Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Avocado Quesadillas

I'm going to skip over a few recipes waiting to be published and go straight to last night's "fiasco".

Thesaurus.com synonyms: blunder, botched situation, disaster, embarrassment, error, failure, farce, flop, mess...

Any of those would be appropriate.

I chose this recipe for ease. It's so easy to make quesadillas. And with no meat, this recipe should have taken 2 seconds. After all, the website said "only takes a few minutes to make". SOLD!!

I had been doing research with my students for the second day in a row and by the end of the day I was brain dead so this was the night for this recipe.

1. Spray a large skillet over medium, medium-high heat with non-stick spray . DONE. (I chose medium)
2. Add one tortilla to the skillet and layer it with cheese, black beans, salsa, avocado and more cheese. OK.
3. Allow the tortilla to cook two to three minutes, until the cheese begins to melt. EASY.
4. Add a second tortilla to the top of the mixture and carefully flip it over. ALRIGHTY THEN...

This step is where things started to go waaaaay down hill. Upon the flipping action, half the stuff fell out. I tried my darnedest to stuff it back in. While the other side "cooked" (aka got stuck to the bottom of the pan despite my spraying of the so called "non-stick spray"), I was telling Husband that this might not turn out right and I'll cook another one. As I predicted, here is attempt #1...



Poor thing. It left behind half of its innards. Here they are!!


As promised, I started another one but before I could do that, I had to try to clean this guy off. I scraped my heart out and then poured water in there to try and loosen up what was left, I'm sure warping my freaking expensive Saladmaster skillet in the process. But we were hungry so I gave it another shot.

Here is attempt #2...


Defeat. I haven't felt this in a while. And when it rains, it pours. I burned the rice and was left with this mess to clean up...



Sacrebleu!!

In the end, this is what I've decided. 
-I would not use the skillet again because it was quite difficult to get the spatula in there to flip. I would use my flat grill thing next time. 
-I suppose I would double the amount of spray I use because only one side benefited from the amount I used.
-Instead of medium, perhaps medium LOW would have worked out better.
-As far as preventing the guts from falling out, I have no idea. Perhaps smaller tortillas.

Despite the failure, I sure did cut that quesadilla up, serve it to Husband, smile and say
 "BON APPETIT!"


It actually didn't taste that bad, folks.

Think you can do better?

1 comment:

  1. I microwave my quesadillas (with all innards and both tortillas intact) before cooking them on my griddle. Don't microwave too long! Then it'll be grody. Just get the melting process started. Then everything will melt together faster on the griddle so stuff is less likely to fall out when you flip.

    ReplyDelete