Sunday, February 3, 2013

Maple Pecan Sticky Buns


Oh wow. Don't THOSE look tasty. If you have arrived here via Pinterest, I have to tell you that your buns will look nothing like those buns because my buns looked horrible....but...they tasted delicious and that is why I'm going to share this Southern Living recipe.

The good news: I got to use my new rolling pin instead of my son's little tykes baseball bat to roll the dough out. I also got to use my pink KitchenAid mixer!!<--------tail wagging

The bad news: everything else. 

These were so stinking hard to roll and cut!! I had to use half a bag of flour just to keep the dough from sticking to me, the pin, and the surface. So they were basically flour buns by the time all was said and done.
But before I even got to this stage, I was digging the brown sugar out of the bag with a measuring cup and it flung up in the air and brown sugar went everywhere. And I mean everywhere. So I had to start over.

While I was cutting them, the dough flattened out and I had paper thin rolls that I had to try and stretch out to put in the pan. I could go on for days about how this was hard to make. It took an hour and a half total but it was worth it. 

The only thing I would change is doubling the amount of cinnamon sugar you put in the roll itself. I can never get enough.

Ingredients:
Maple syrup
1 16 oz. package hot roll mix
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Maple glaze (you will make yourself)
1.2 c. chopped pecans

Sticky Bun Syrup:
whisk together 2/3 c. powdered sugar, 1/4 c. melted butter, 2 tbsp. maple syrup and 1 egg white until smooth.

Maple glaze:
melt  tbsp. butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 1/4 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar, 2 tbsp. maple syrup and a pinch of salt until blended. Whisk in  tbsp. milk, bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low;simmer, whisking constantly 3-4 minutes or until glaze is golden brown and glossy. Use immediately.

1. Lightly grease 2 8-inch round or square cake pans or skillets. Spoon Sticky Bun Syrup into pans.
2. Prepare hot roll dough as directed on back of package; let dough stand 5 minutes.
3. Roll dough into an 18x10 inch rectangle (good luck).Spread with melted butter. Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon;sprinkle over butter.
4. Roll dough up tightly, starting at 1 long end;cut into 16 sliced using a serrated knife. (again, good luck)Place 1 slice in center of each prepared pan. Place 7 slices around center roll in each pan.
5. Cover pans loosely with plastic wrap;let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 30-45 minutes.
6. Preheat over to 350. Uncover rolls, and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Prepare maple glaze and brush over rolls. Top with roasted pecans.

I tried.


No comments:

Post a Comment