Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spaghetti Squash with Grilled Chicken and Tomatoes

I tackled spaghetti squash. I've been wanting to do it for months and I finally did it. The selling point for me was how much healthier it is than regular pasta.

Spaghetti squash: 40 calories and 8 carbs per cup
Pasta: 200 calories and 40 carbs per cup.

First off, there are two ways to get your squash ready for stringing. I got those instructions here.

1. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.
Yeah right. What kind of working mom has this kind of time at night for healthy spaghetti? I chose the lazy   way, method 2.

2. Microwave 5-10 minutes, or until soft. And as usual, I didn't read it all the way. "Be sure to pierce with a knife before microwaving to release steam." Oops. I set the microwave for 10 minutes and soon after heard a nice boom. The top exploded off. Now I had a hole to release steam.

"Split the squash into two even halves. Be careful, it's hot!"<-------learned that the hard way too.

The step that's missing is to let cool. I personally would have added that step because I was burning my fingers trying to string the stuff that was lava hot. But I needed to get dinner made so I toughed it out, cursing the whole time.

It was extremely easy to string, as far as getting the fork after it. The heat slowed me down but I'm sure if it was cooled, it would take just a few minutes.

I started following the directions as far as putting this meal together. On the first link, it says to cook the spaghetti squash in the skillet but my second recipe with the meal I was making never said to so I didn't. Afterwards, I'm assuming I should have. I think the pasta is supposed to be soft and mine was all kinds of crunchy :(

That was problem #1. Problem #2 was the meal was super dry. Problem #3 was that it just wasn't that great and it was NOT worth the effort of burning my hands to get the strands. I'm a poet and didn't know it.


Maybe you can do better...
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/special-dietary-needs/spaghetti-squash-with-grilled-chicken-and-sun-dried-tomatoes/

No comments:

Post a Comment